4.10.1 Controller Area Network (CAN)
The CAN module uses the IP known as D_CAN. This document uses the names CAN and D_CAN interchangeably to reference this peripheral.
The CAN module implements the following features:
- Complies with ISO 11898-1 (Bosch® CAN protocol specification 2.0 A and B)
- Bit rates up to 1 Mbps
- Multiple clock sources
- 32 message objects, each with the following properties:
- Configurable as receive or transmit
- Configurable with standard or extended identifier
- Programmable receive and identifier masks for each object
- Supports data and remote frames
- Holds 0 to 8 bytes of data
- Parity-checked configuration and data RAM
- Individual identifier mask for each message object
- Programmable FIFO mode for receive message objects
- Programmable loop-back modes for self-test operation
- Suspend mode for debug support
- Software module reset
- Automatic bus on after Bus-Off state by a programmable 32-bit timer
- Message RAM parity check mechanism
- Two interrupt lines
- Global power down and wakeup support
For a CANx Bit-CLK of 200 MHz, the smallest bit rate possible is 7.8125 kbps.
The accuracy of the on-chip zero-pin oscillator is in Table 4-18, Internal Oscillator Electrical Characteristics. Depending on parameters such as the CAN bit timing settings, bit rate, bus length, and propagation delay, the accuracy of this oscillator may not meet the requirements of the CAN protocol. In this situation, an external clock source must be used.