The Texas Instruments BQ28Z620 device is a highly integrated, accurate, 1-series to 2-series cell gas gauge and protection solution, enabling autonomous charger control and cell balancing.
The BQ28Z620-DEVICE-FW enables autonomous charge control through Master Mode I2C broadcasts of charging current and voltage information, eliminating software overhead that is typically incurred by the system’s host controller.
The BQ28Z620-DEVICE-FW device provides a fully integrated pack-based solution with a flash programmable custom reduced instruction-set CPU (RISC), safety protection, and authentication for 1- to 2-series cell Li-ion and Li-polymer battery packs.
The BQ28Z620-DEVICE-FW communicates via an I2C compatible interface and combines an ultra-low-power, high-speed TI BQBMP processor, high-accuracy analog measurement capabilities, integrated flash memory, an array of peripheral and communication ports, an N-CH FET drive, and a SHA-1 Authentication transform responder into a complete, high-performance battery management solution.
- Autonomous battery charging control, using a dedicated MASTER mode I2C interface
- 400-kHz I2C bus communications interface, including a 1.2-V logic level for high-speed programming and data access
- Cell balancing with an internal bypass to optimize battery health
- A high-side protection N-CH FET drive enables serial bus communication during fault conditions
- Programmable protection levels for voltage, current, and temperature
- Support for simultaneous current and voltage sampling
- Supports down to 0.5-mΩ current sense resistor while capable of 1-mA current measurement
- SHA-1 authentication responder for increased battery pack security