This reference design provides isolated positive and negative voltage rails for Insulated Gate Bipolar Transistor (IGBT) gate drivers from a 24-V DC input supply. It uses a flyback power supply topology to generate four pairs of 15-V and –5-V outputs suitable for powering six IGBT gate drivers of 1 W each. The integration of a 100-V rated primary-side switch within the LM5180 flyback converter together with the elimination of an auxiliary transformer winding enables a compact solution.
- Quasi-resonant boundary conduction mode along with frequency modulation provides peak efficiency of 90% at balanced full load
- Supplies output power up to 1.2 W per IGBT driver
- Provides compact and cost-effective solution due to elimination of opto-coupler and transformer auxiliary winding
- Provision to turn the power supply on and off through the EN pin
- Programmable soft start limits the inrush current drawn by the power supply